WenbleyWonderful Tips #112: Birthday Parties Ideas

The WembleyWonderful family is in currently in full birthday party frenzy – all three WW girls have their birthday within 9 days of each other, which makes our life… festive to put it nicely! Although I much prefer the idea of parties at home, it’s not always practical, particularly in the winter. So if like me you’ve been scratching your head in search of a party venues, here are a few ideas :

• Escape games have become very popular, and although I was very dubious when Mr WembleyWonderful suggested the idea for our 11-year-old, they both came back absolutely enthusiastic . They went to the Breakout Rooms in Watford , which accommodate 2 to 6 people for 1-hour sessions, and offer games of different levels of difficulty.
  • We also tried mini-golf with 12 kids this weekend, and although I was dreading the logistics of such a large group, it was really fun for everyone (adults included). We went to the Lost Jungle in Edgware , with opened quite recently and is therefore absolutely pristine; and also very accessible as right off the M1.
  • In the past we’ve also tried horse riding in Stanmore, with the Stanmore Riding School, They offer 30-minute taster sessions on Saturdays and Sundays, which can be booked for birthday parties. You just need to call them (well in advance!) and discuss their available slots – which need to be outside of weekly lesson times.
  • We’ve also done bo wling in Stanmore (I know, I have somewhat of a geographic bias…) at M18 Lanes. They are open to kids in the day (but not in the evening) and you can book either a kids’ party package or one or two lanes without any package.

Other things that my kid have been inviting to (but that I haven’t experienced myself) include:

• Laser tag at Laser Planet Watford. This is an indoor venue where the kids are divided in two teams and “fight” in a maze. Mademoiselle WembleyWonderful #2 was invited twice and absolutely loves it, especially if her team wins (how surprising). I have heard some parents love participating in the game too but I promise I won’t give names…
  • Climbing at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre. On top of the weekly lessons, the climbing wall can be booked for private events, where the kids get a climbing initiation with an instructor for 90 minutes. There is also a climbing wall at Hendon, close to Brent Cross, and they also offer private parties hire.
  • Trampolining in Acton. Oxygen Freejumping is a large indoor trampoline park, where the kids can burn energy to their hearts’ delight -actually you can also book a session as a corporate / team building thing, but I am not so sure about this one…
  • Swimming parties in various pools across London. Many sports centres offer private hire of either the kids or the main pool for parties; very often providing floats! Hertsmere Leisure Centre in Bushey is an example.
  • Parties at the RAF museum . The place in itself is amazing, even for someone like me with little interest in either planes of weapons.
0 Likes