WemblWonderful Tips #128 - Which Advent Calendar for You?

After years of disliking this tradition, I started getting excited about advent calendars when I decided to make them myself for our children. So if you need a bit of motivation to fulfil your kids unhidden desire to stuff themselves with sugar for a continuous month, here are a few advent calendar options .

Option 1: buy them entirely ready-made . You will have seen tons appearing in supermarket aisles over the past few weeks – these A4 flat boxes with windows, containing individual portions of chocolate. Within those, I’ve heard from a reliable source sampling it every year that the Lindt Calendar sold by Costco is definitely the one to have . Of course, you could argue that if each kid has their own advent calendar, why shouldn’t the adults have theirs too? So here are not just one but two boozy options (I did not even know this existed, how naïve!); or a beauty option (much more appealing to me frankly). Still haven’t found one with a diamond a day but wouldn’t that be a great idea?

Option 2: buy the calendar and fill it yourself with treats . Laurence recently advertised here the fabric Advent calendars she makes, customisable and reusable. And advent calendars will also be on sale from the forthcoming LIL parent Christmas market organised this week, along with treats that can be used to fill them.

Option 3: make your advent calendar yourself . My source of continuous inspiration has been this blog, where the author is a graphic designer and kindly offers her advent calendar creations for free. Two years ago I made the mini-presents forest, which only required the purchase of thick coloured paper cards; I also decided to make the presents in various colours, for more fun. Last year, I made the little berlingots, to which I added satin ribbons and suspended on our Christmas decorations. This year, I am being ambitious and creating my own – I bought some clear plastic Christmas bobbles, which I will fill with sweets and suspend with satin ribbons to our Christmas tree… We’ll see how this turns out…

What about you? Do you have fancy ideas for your advent calendar?