WembleyWonderful Tips #94: Weekend Walks in Wales

(… or how many W’s can you fit in one single sentence…)

With mostly sunny weekends over the past month, the WembleyWonderful family still hasn’t tired of weekend walks in the countryside (obviously a bit of children’s bribing with crisps and biscuits helps as well…).

With Mr WembleyWonderful, we followed the excellent recommendation of a British friends and recently spent an extended weekend in South Wales , walking every day . It was such a nice and relaxing experience that I thought I’d share it with my faithful WW readers.

How far is it? Wales is actually not that far away by car – from North London it takes 2 hours to cross the River Severn, 3 hours to reach the Brecon Beacons National Park and the Black Mountains; and 4 ½ to get to the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park . Snowdonia in North Wales is much further away though so we sadly did not go there – next time… Importantly (and contrary to London and its surroundings) , the roads are in perfect condition , so driving about is actually completely bearable.

Where to stay? Obviously, plenty of options, but given we wanted to walk both in the Brecon Beacons and on the Pembrokeshire Coast we chose a location more or less in the middle. The Grove Narbeth is a charming small-size hotel , with bedrooms in the main country house as well as in outbuilding; and beautifully maintained grounds. The restaurant is definitely Michelin level – so that was a very good surprise, we ate their every evening!

Where to walk? Obviously, that was our main purpose so we explored quite a bit:

• On our way from London, we stopped in Bristol for an excellent lunch at the Glassboat Brasserie (another recommendation from another lovely friend); and a quick stroll in the very pretty city.
  • We then headed to the Brecon Beacons for a 3-hour walk in the deserted moor-land . We got a bit lost as we did not use i-Footpath (I think we’re addicted to the geo-localisation now…); but the scenery is striking nevertheless! Similar walks from i-Footpath would be the “Usk Reservoir”, “Pant-y-Creigiau” and “Pen y Fan” ones.
  • Our following walks were along the Pembrokeshire Coast. First, the Stackpole Wildlife Walk , mostly along the coast but also going inland hence with quite varied scenery; and a lovely wild area. Worth mentioning, there was the added bonus of a National Trust tea house at the end, so very British and so very welcome after a 3-hour treck…
  • Second, the Marloes Peninsula Coastal Walk, also along the coast but quite different scenery – and more importantly for us loads of seals!!! We always get very excited, even without the kids! No tea house their though…

I hope this article will inspire you to explore the UK. Do not hesitate to post your own recommendations on the website!