WembleyWonderful Tips #79: Juice Detox Follow-Up

Many of you enjoyed my juice detox article of last week, so I thought a follow-up would be of interest, answering the various questions you had.

How to juice-detox while juggling kids / work/ the normal ups and downs of daily life? What seems most feasible (to me anyway…) without getting too exhausted is to start juicing after lunch until the following morning – this way juices replace mid-afternoon, pre-dinner and post-dinner snacks (hum hum, are you guilty too?) and dinner.

How to avoid cravings while juicing? The very widespread advice is to have a juice every two hour, drink it slowly and drink loads of water as well – for me it seems to work. So for instance if you have lunch around 1pm, you can have you first juice from 3pm, you second from 5pm and you third from 7pm – and that should do the trick! Spacing out the juices more has never a good idea for me, as this is when I really want to eat chocolate!!!

Where to get all these juices from? I am a bit obsessed by home-made (meal, bread, yogurts, clothes, woollen jumper, curtains, and the list goes on…) so I’ve been manically using my brand-new juicer lately. Thankfully I’ve discovered that juices do not deteriorate over two days, so I make six juices in a go and live on this – three days is too long though. Another option is to get your juices delivered to your door – a bit of Google magic and you get the following companies doing this for you (I haven’t tried them though): Juice Programmes, Nutriseed, Fuel Station, Juice To Go, etc…

What are the best juices for a juicing-beginners? I am an absolute vegetable fan, but even for me some of the green juices (i.e. with limited fruits) are just… well, too green! So within the list I gave last week, here are the juices I think would be best to start with:

• Kids’ Friendly Green: 2 oranges, 1 lemon, 1 green apple, 1 cup of baby spinach, 1 kale leaf
  • Tropical Carrot & Apple: 1 apple, ½ cup of pineapple chunks, 2 carrots, 2 pieces of ginger
  • Red Zinger Breakfast: 2 lemons, 2 carrots, 2 apples, 2 beetroots
  • Rehydrate: coconut water, spinach, pumpkin, carrot, coriander
  • Easy Start: 2 apples, 2 carrots, 4 celery stalks

And what about a few more recipes? If you’ve already tried all of last week’s recipes (well done you!), here are a few more, all credit to Deliciously Ella “Smoothies and Juices” book:

• Easy Green: 1 cucumber, handful of kale, 1 pear, 1 apple
  • Sweet Green: 1/3 pineapple, thumbed-sized piece of ginger, ½ lime, 1 cucumber
  • Fennel and Mint: ½ lime, ½ fennel bulb, small handful of fresh mint, large handful of spinach, 1 cucumber, ½ head of broccoli
  • Orange, Sweet potato and Carrot: 1 sweet potato, small thumb-sized piece of ginger, 1 orange, ½ lemon, 1 stalk of lemongrass, 5 carrots
  • Beet, Carrot and Ginger: 2 small beetroots, big thumb-sized piece of ginger, ¼ lime, a few sprigs of fresh parsley, 4 carrots, ½ cucumber, 1 small apple

For those who get a sick feeling just by reading these recipes (like most of the WembleyWonderful family), I promise this is the last of my juicing articles for a while!