WembleyWonderful Tips #78: Juice Detox

I took the opportunity of the holiday to go into a fruit detox, I loved it and I thought it would be nice to share thoughts and recipes on the subject.

Well, actually the real story is more like this: after many complains from my side that I looked fat in a swimsuit, and his constant refusal to say anything on the subject (how clever!), Mr WembleyWonderful finally convinced me to weight myself and… I was so horrified that I immediately signed up for the three-day juice detox program the hotel was offering! And surprisingly I really enjoyed it! It also did really help kick-start my weight -loss.

So what it a juice detox? Basically, you commit to only drinking juice and water over a period of time (most common is three days), to cleanse you liver and digestive system. You need to drink your juices at about 2-hour intervals, to avoid food craving. And you need to drink at least as much water as juice. Obviously, you are not supposed to eat, which is surprisingly easy if you’re not doing very much of your day (hum, hum, not sure how you combine this one with children and all the rest…), as the juices are actually quite filling. Another (easier) option is to use a juice as replacement of a meal.

What are the benefits of a juice detox? If you read the literature available on the internet, juice detox is credited with plenty of benefits: weight loss, lowering cholesterol, liver detoxing, better nutrient absorption, etc etc. What I found good about it is that it quickly reduced the size of my stomach – so no more binge eating once I stopped the detox; and I felt really energised by all the vitamins I was getting from the various fruits and vegs in the juices.

Here is an example of daily juice menu (with all the “Peace&Love” names in it), full credit of our hotel, and with ** for my favourites. The juices need to be mainly vegetable ones, otherwise that’s too much sugar in your system! Depending on when you wake up you will have 6 to 7 juices a day, at 2-hour intervals.

• Opening Juice: basil, celery, carrot, pineapple, cucumber
  • **Rehydrate: coconut water, spinach, pumpkin, carrot, coriander
  • Green Goddess: kale, lettuce, cucumber, mint leaf, guava, green apple
  • **Attention: beetroot, apple, lemon, ginger, black pepper
  • **Nourish: celery, kale, cucumber, papaya, coriander, watermelon
  • Immune: pumpkin, carrot, guava, orange, parsley, papaya
  • Cool: asparagus, kale, papaya, cucumber, kiwi, passion fruit

And here are a few more recipes (the names are a bit less “Peace&Love”, sorry…), full credit of this website. If you are new to vegetable juices (like me!), you may want to try the ones with more sugary vegs, such as carrots and beetroots; or with a bit of fruit…

• Ultimate Green: 1 piece of ginger, mint, 2 green apples, 3 celery stalks, 1 cucumber, 8 kale leaves, 1 lemon
  • Tropical Carrot & Apple: 1 apple, ½ cup of pineapple chunks, 2 carrots, 2 pieces of ginger
  • Kids’ Friendly Green: 2 oranges, 1 lemon, 1 green apple, 1 cup of baby spinach, 1 kale leaf
  • Green Spinach: 1 cup of spinach, 2 celery stalks, 4 kale leaves, 1 piece of ginger, 2 apples, 1 lemon
  • Red Zinger Breakfast: 2 lemons, 2 carrots, 2 apples, 2 beetroots
  • Allergy Fighting: 1 cucumber, 1 cup of pineapple, 1 lemon, 1 cup of grapes, ½ cup of parsley, 1 apple
  • Easy Start: 2 apples, 2 carrots, 4 celery stalks

While you’re at it, you may want to add a bit of superfood into your juice , such as: spirulina, maca, acai, baobab or hemp. They are all available on powder form on Amazon, and one teaspoon is usually enough.

Lastly if you don’t have a juicer you will need to get one – there are plenty available on the market and the main choice to make is whether you want a masticating juicer (which lets the juice pass slowly without heating it), a centrifugal juicer (which is speedier but heats up) and a cold-press juicer (which is faster that a masticating juicer but more expensive). The most important is that all parts can go into the dishwasher!

And now all you need… is to start juicing! Enjoy!

1 Like