WembleyWonderful Tips #68: Gluten-Free Life

As my regular readers know, I recently discovered that I am highly wheat-intolerant. This is a bit less restrictive that being gluten-intolerant but for a French person like me, it cuts out pretty essential foods: Petits Beurres, Princes, pain d’épice youplaboum, croissants and pains au chocolat; as well as less essential but still important ones such as bread, quiches, tarts, pasta, etc, etc…

So I started a frantic search for nice wheat-free recipes. The goods news is that there are many ways you can replace wheat in recipes, so bread, cakes and biscuits are still fully within reach. Yipee! But bad news is that my kitchen cupboard in on the verge of becoming very complex, as I start storing ingredients I had never bought or even heard-about before, such as arrowroot flour, xantham gum, chia seeds or apple cider vinegar to name a few.

I though some of you might be interested in trying gluten-free recipes. So here is a summary of my favourite recipes / cook books/ websites as of now –and the search continues…

• Here is my favourite gluten-free bread recipe. This is a Thermomix recipe but it can be made in a Thermomix-free house (if you have a strong-enough processor to make flour). It is quite dark but not compact and keeps for about a week.
  • My favourite meal for the moment: chickpea and tomato curry. I mentioned it in a previous newsletter but I just can’t get enough of it, especially now that the weather is colder. More generally the Yummix website is full of great recipes, very often gluten-free- I’ve recently tried the carrot and spices quinoasotto and it is delicious, especially combined with the curry (I am definitely obsessed!)…
  • My favourite sweat treat are Deliciously Ella’s powerballs, which take less than five minutes to make … and five seconds to eat! I’ve tried the Classic Almond and Cacao; and the Peanut Butter ones.
  • Talking of Deliciously Ella, this is also my current bedside table book after my lovely (gluten, egg and milk-intolerant) friend recommended it to me. Not only have I pinned most of the recipes, but Ella also goes into a detailed presentation of all the new weird and wonderful ingredients I am supposed to use now, this is so helpful! Her website is great and she also has an app.

Do not hesitate to post gluten-free suggestions on the website if you have some, I am keen to keep learning!