The WembleyWonderful tribe has been invited to a myriad of birthday parties recently, which I imagine should reassure me on the social abilities of my kids, being always in doubt about my own… It also made me think that parents new to the area may welcome suggestions of venues for organising their own parties. Sorry, all more or less in the primary age range though, as I am yet to experience the joys of teenager parties… Can’t wait…
So here are a few ideas - full credit to the parents of my kids’ friends, as the WembleyWonderful parties tend to be of a far more DIY type (I told you it’s an addiction…).
- Laser tag at Laser Planet Watford. This is an indoor venue where the kids are divided in two teams and “fight” in a maze. Mademoiselle WembleyWonderful #2 was invited twice and absolutely loves it, especially if her team wins (how surprising). I have heard some parents love participating in the game too but I promise I won’t give names…
- Climbing at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre. On top of the weekly lessons, the climbing wall can be booked for private events, where the kids get a climbing initiation with an instructor for 90 minutes. There is also a climbing wall at Hendon, close to Brent Cross, and they also offer private parties hire.
- Horse riding in Stanmore. The Stanmore Riding School offers a 30-minute taster session on Saturdays and Sundays, which can be booked for birthday parties. You just need to call them (well in advance!) and discuss their available slots – which need to be outside of weekly lesson times.
- Bowling in Stanmore (I know, I have a bit of a geographic bias…). M18 Lanes is open to kids in the day (but not in the evening). They have a kids’ party package but are also very happy for you to book one or two lanes without any package.
- Trampolining in Acton. Oxygen Freejumping is a large indoor trampoline park, where the kids can burn energy to their hearts’ delight -actually you can also book a session as a corporate / team building thing, but I am not so sure about this one…
- Swimming parties in various pools across London. Many sports centres offer private hire of either the kids or the main pool for parties; very often providing floats! Hertsmere Leisure Centre in Bushey is an example.
- Go-Karting in a secret place… Mademoiselle WembleyWonderful #2 (yes, the one who does laser tag) has just been invited to a party yet to take place; so for the sack of not getting the track overbooked I’ll keep the location secret. This is the Machiavel in me!!
- Parties at the RAF museum. The place in itself is amazing, even for someone like me with little interest in either planes of weapons.
I am sure I have missed a lot so more suggestions are welcome, do not hesitate to post them on the website!