WembleyWonderful Tips #53: London Outdoor Fun

The British seem to love outdoor events more than the French; and as the weather gets warmer lots starts to happen, in and around London. Here is a selection of events I would personally enjoy – you will maybe notice that I have not included festivals, as being several days in the mud with loud music and no access to a shower is not my idea of fun…

Holland park runs an outdoor opera every year, over May-June-July. Most performances take place at 7.30pm and you can either take a performance-only ticket, book a table and bring your picnic for the interval; or reserve dinner on site - a truly lovely experience. This year’s programme includes five different shows, including Mozart’s Don Giovanni. All details here.

Regents Park open air theatre is open between May and July and runs four productions this year. There are morning, afternoon and evening sessions to suits all tastes and ages. All details here.

Shakespeare Globe Theatre ’s summer season runs between mid-April and mid-October and for 2017 the theme is “Summer of Love, with such productions as Romeo and Juliet and Much Ado About Nothing . The venue in itself is worth a visit – you can actually book a guided tour throughout the year. More details here.

And as usual, all my favourite National Trust properties are organising loads of activities:

• Clivenden is organising River Cruises on 20-21st and the 27-28th May; Tree Climbing on 29-30th May, 10-11th and 14-15th August; “Grove Sessions” of acoustic Jazz every Saturday in June between noon and 2pm; and three theatre plays in August, including Pride and Prejudice .
  • Osterley Park and House is organising canoeing, kayaking and paddle-boarding on its Middle Lake, at many dates over May-August, for a very reasonable £6 fee; family gardening club over the May half-term and the summer holiday; cycle sessions and parkruns.
  • Ashridge Estate is organising is 21st annual Plant Fair on 21st May; Wild Walks with park rangers over the summer: Totally Batty Walk (9th June and 7th July, 8.30-10pm), Wildflower Walk (1st July, 10am-12noon), Creatures of the Night ((4th August 8.30-11pm). And on the weekends of 22-23rd July and 12-13th August, you can even camp on the estate and take part in several family activities.
  • If you’re really into camping (more than I am…), Waddesdon Manor is also organising a Big Camp weekend on 21-22nd July. And a Feast Festival with music, dance and theatrical performance over 17-18th June; among many other events.

So no excuse to stay indoors then… Except for the rain!

0 Likes

WembleyWonderful #100 - What We've Talked About Over 100 Newsletters