WembleyWonderful Tips #50: Bargain Hunting in London

My head was full of serious thoughts for this tip section: Childhood Law, Bullying, How to Go Back to Work After a Break (but I really don’t want to go back!), etc. But then I thought, let’s be frivolous! Shopping being the best therapy for me, here are a few suggestions on how to shop for less in London.

Those who have read this newsletter for a while will know my unconditional love for The Outnet , the outlet website of Net a Porter. It sells solely high-end designer brand from previous seasons, at a discount of between 50 and 60%. Ideal if (like me) you are a complete designer addict (I blame it to my teenager days of Poivre Blanc and Chevignon); or if (like me again) you’re a bit a compulsive repeat buyer and when you’ve bought something you really like you just want to buy it again and again and again… They have new arrivals several times a week but be quick!

Another wonderful way to cheaper designer goods are sample sales , where brands sell goods which have been used as samples or on the catwalk, or which are from a few seasons ago, at a heavily discounted price. The sales usually take place in the West End, in a large room in an office building, which clothes/ shoes/ bags stacked up everywhere. You have to look hard to find a bargain but as we’re in England, all the ladies are actually very nice to each other – this s itself is worth going! My source to track them is this website and I’ll definitely be going to the Erdem sale!

If you’re ready to make the journey, Hackney in East London is home to a few factory shops of renowned English brands. In our younger days, I used to drag Mr WembleyWonderful to the Burberry factory shop ( 29-53 Chatham Place, E9 6LP) and it was wonderful – a massive place where we would stock up on coats and jumpers. Since our last visit, quite a few other outlets have opened in the area: Aquascutum, Pringle o Scotland, Anya Hindmarch. I definitely need to go back!

And if you’re keen for a little drive outside London, Bicester Village is the place to go. This is basically a stand-alone purpose-built “village”, about 1h30-drive from London, with tens and tens of high-street to high-end outlet shops, each in their little house. I was very much against this “fake” shopping experience until I took Mr WembleyWonderful – and he just loved it! In 2 hours, he was dressed from tip to toes, with no more shopping required for a year! Obviously the same was not exactly true for me but I enjoyed it enormously too!

So instead of worrying about the forthcoming second round of the elections this week, just go shopping!