WembleyWonderful Tips #49: Enjoy Spring Gardens In and Around London

Spring is in my view the nicest season in London – the days get longer, the weather warmer, and British gardens are already quite stunning at this stage of the year. If like me this year’s glorious Spring has given you ambitions to visit more English gardens (and potentially steal ideas for yours), here are a few places I am quite keen to explore myself:

All within London and accessible by tube:

A bit further afield and by order of proximity to Stanmore (sorry, a bit of a self-centric moment here, you are welcome to move close to us we love new friends!):

• St Paul’s Walden Bury (Hertfordshire, SG4 8BP, 39mn drive) – an 18th-century garden and childhood home of Queen Elizabeth. The visit is best planned by appointment but it seems really worth it, with plenty of magnolias, rhododendrons, irises, lilies on offer.
  • Wrest Park (Bedfordshire, MK45 4HR, 45mn drive), which offer formal parterres as well as woodland.
  • Audley House (Essex, CB11 4JF, 1h07mn drive), which has a large kitchen garden and plenty of tulips to enjoy
  • Great Comp Garden (Kent, TN15 8QS, 1h11 drive), with plenty of spring flowers such a magnolias, azaleas and rhododendrons
  • High Beeches Gardens (Sussex, RH17 6HQ, 1h13mn), with bluebells and magnolias