WembleyWonderful Tips #46: Have You Experienced Mansplaining?

I am a largely blasé feminist – obviously working for ten years in investment banks did not really consolidate my conviction that equality is progressing every day but never mind… However, some sexist attitudes do drive me completely ballistic – “mansplaining” is one of them; and I didn’t even know there was a name for it until last week. It was such a revelation to know that it does not only happen to me that I thought I would share the joy!!!

According to Merriam Webster, “mansplaining is “ what occurs when a man talks condescendingly to someone (especially a woman) about something he has incomplete knowledge of, with the mistaken assumption that he knows more about it than the person he’s talking to ”. My personal recent experience in my modest school mum life includes being told how I should organise the teachers’ present fundraising (“it would be much more intelligent to…” – because yes, you know, after four pregnancies my brain is pea sized); or, as a class rep, being ordered to invite class parents’ to a meeting (“please send an invitation to all parents for the meeting you are attending tomorrow” – very bad strategy, I react very badly to orders); I could keep going…

The amazing news is that it does not only happen to me!!! Or to you!!! To be convinced do read Rebecca Solnit’s essay “Men Explain Things to Me”- very funny at the beginning, much deeper as you progress. The point is there and so striking!

Thankfully some men are “mensplainers”; but most are not and abhor it as much as I do – thanks to wonderful Mr WembleyWonderful for making all the research about this and making me smile at the ridicule abuse!!