WembleyWonderful Tips #36: What to Do the First Days of January

This Christmas school break seems overly long, with children going back to school neither Monday 2nd nor Tuesday 3rd but Wednesday 4th! Arrrggghhhh! What are we going to find to entertain them?

The good news is that most English schools are back on Tuesday 3rd, so family attractions will be literally empty on the Tuesday and Wednesday. This is a fantastic opportunity to do what you’ve always wanted with the kids but without queuing (Hampton Court ice rink was already quite crowded and we’re only early December…).

So here are a few activities on my to-do list:

• After finding out that all my children can now ice-skate (sort of) independently, I am very keen to take them to the National History Museum ice rink. Given its small size, it is a no-go at busy time but should be lovely then.
  • While we’ll be in the area, I think we’ll visit the Design Museum, which has recently reopened in a new building off Kensington High Street – I am not that sure about the exhibitions but the building seems in itself worth a visit and stands in Holland Park, so we can also have a stroll there afterwards.
  • I’ve always wanted to take them for the very traditional ritual of High Tea, so I think I’ll try the Busy Bees Afternoon Tea at St Ermin’s Hotel. And you can even go and visit the hotel’s very own beehive afterwards, which sounds very exciting!
  • I’d also love to take them to “Abstract Expressionism” exhibition at the Royal Academy – but it’s going to be a stretch, as the exhibition is closing on 2nd January!
  • Also on my list is the V&A Museum of Childhood, which I’ve never visited but which I think they would enjoy. We could then walk along Regents’ Canal up to Islington and have a feast in one of the Gallipoli restaurants on Upper Street – food to look forward too is always essential for my children…