WembleyWonderful Tips #35: Christmas Decorations DIY

This is the first year ever I am so excited about Christmas and I don’t really know why – maybe it’s the cold weather; or the prospect of going to a sunny destination for the first time ever in February. Or maybe the realisation that as our children grow up, the magic will get lost somehow…In any case be prepared to get Christmas-related WembleyWonderful tips until… well, Christmas! Sorry for those who just hate Christmas as much as I hate Christmas shopping…

First, this year I made the great promise (to myself, not to the children, I am not that mad) to hand-make our advent calendar. This came from my weekly browse of my favourite sewing and knitting blogs. You’re probably losing the plot here but here it is: on top of finding the time to sew a new garment and knit a new jumper every week, those amazing ladies also self-decorate their homes with a new theme every season!!! Oh well… Although I am not targeting this level of perfection, my key problem for DIY is that most of the websites I browse are French; therefore, I am at lost as to where to get the supplies from while living in the UK. But recently I had an illumination: Amazon (even better: Amazon Prime, next day delivery, never mind it’s double the price)! Tah-ha!

So here is my advent calendar selection: “La forêt de mini-cadeaux”, with the pdf you need to print-out everything. After a long moment on Amazon (I know, this is an obsession), I selected this paper, I am planning to make my advent calendar with loads of colourful boxes. Just need to get going now… (Sunday night editorial update: done, it is beautiful, I am very proud!!). If you don’t like this advent calendar DIY, here, here and here are a few other ideas, as beautiful!

To stay on the forest theme, my second project is this amazing DIY for table decoration: a forest of white Christmas tree made from doilies (=napperons en papier). It took me ages to find the translation of “napperons en papier” but once found I ordered these on Amazon, as well as these sticks to pile the doilies on, these beads to keep them in place and this glue stick to glue everything together. On the original picture, the trees are lit by candle-light but I think I’ll go for a flickering electric light instead. Just need to get going on this one too…

My third project is to decorate the children for our Christmas card – or, more specifically, to make two shiny glittery matching dresses for the girls. Very much a work in progress too…

And if you were inspired by my article of last week about Christmas cards, Isabelle of IDea For Your Space has pinned some ideas of how to display them here.

And you, how do you decorate your home (or your family J) for Christmas?