WembleyWonderful Tips #136 - On a descaling Misson

January is usually the month when I declutter the house – sort out the kids’ clothes, get rid of the toys and books they don’t need, and generally make the house a bit less full of stuff. I have been absolutely rubbish at it this year though , so everything is nice and tidy on the outside but our cupboards are full…

Instead, my obsession of the month has been limescale (this woman is mad you must be thinking…). If you are, like me, a bit obsessed with cleanliness, you will have noticed that London is limescale kingdom – anything in contact with water (taps, sinks, showerheads) gets a white limescale deposit immensely quickly. This is not a huge surprise once you look at this mapdue to its geology London is in a hard water territory .

After losing a washing machine to limescale a few years ago , I have become far more diligent in my limescale battle . Here are the different tools I use:

• Our house has a water softener , which filters water at source using an ion exchange process. From a maintenance perspective, you just have to add water softener salt every so often , when the tank is empty – quite cheap and readily available everywhere. As the WembleyWonderful family has realised, it definitely does not work if no one replaces the salt … No comment…
  • I am a complete addict to white vinegar , which I buy by the 5L bottle when I do my grocery shopping. I regularly immerse our taps and shower heads (if they can be unscrewed from their support) for a few ours, then gently brush off the deposit. If they can’t be unscrewed, you can purchase an odd-looking device to help the cleaning process (is it just me who finds it odd-looking??).
  • For bathrooms and toilets , I regularly use limescale-removal spray such as Viakal. You can also use your home-made spray of half vinegar/ half water . In any case, the product should be rinsed thoroughly afterward.
  • For washing-machine and dishwasher, I use this product twice a year – it was recommended by the Miele engineer who came for the post-mortem of our first washing-machine (which obviously I had never ever treated against limescale) – you put the powder in the machine for a hot-wash cycle and you’re done. After doing some research for this article, it seems that a glass of white vinegar does the same trick for a fraction of the price so I am definitely going to try that!
  • And I also use vinegar for my hair – this time apple cider vinegar though! After washing (but before deep-conditioning – the complexity of my hair washing process is beyond understanding), I rinse in a 2L bowl with about three table spoons of apple cider vinegar. This is supposed to help rinse-off all product deposits, including limescale.

God my life is exciting!!! I hope this article will help you though… If you have limescale-fighting tricks, do not hesitate to share them on the website.

Really odd looking indeed! Personally, I use a small kind of Ziplock bag (food freezing bag) which I fill in with a mix of white vinegar/water. I make sure the tap is immersed in the liquid and ties up the plastic bag to the tap to maintain it in place. This system works wonders and you can use the same food bag for all the taps in the house. No need to buy any specific gadget to discale the taps!