WembleyWonderful Tips #129 - Christmas Fun In and Around London

This is the time of the year again: street lights are up, supermarkets are stocking mince pies again (hurrah!!!) and by English standards your Christmas tree should be up and decorated by now. Clearly, Christmas is around the corner and here are a few ideas of how to make the most of Christmas fun on offer in and around London .

• Christmas lights have already been on for a few weeks now. The best places to see them are Bond Street , Oxford Street , Regent Street and the area around Carnarby Street . Luckily, daylight disappears from 4pm at this time of the year so you can even go directly after school!
  • Winter Wonderland is a giant funfair, installed in Hyde Park between 21st November and 5th January. Alongside the usual funfair attractions, there is a circus, an ice palace, an ice-rink and a giant wheel, which all need to be booked – we did once and weren’t really impressed to be honest. We (well, all family members except me) love the rides though. To avoid the crowds, going in the morning is the best option.
  • Temporary ice rinks are absolutely everywhere so you just need to pick your favourite. In my view, the prettiest are at National History Museum, Somerset House and Hampton Court Palace.
  • Many National Trust Estates are organising Christmas-themed events, among those some friends have warmly Waddesdon Manor and Blenheim Palace.

I hope you enjoy the run-up to Christmas!