WembleyWonderful Tips #114 - Three Self-Help Books I Highly Recommend

I love reading but it’s quite rare for me to read anything else that novels. However, over the past few months, I’ve been drawn to what you could call self-help books – the type that give you tips to improve your life. And I found three of them extremely helpful , so I thought I would share them here.

The first one is health-related (actually, I have read and recommended a lot of health-related books lately, see 5 of them recommended here, so I’m just realising that I don’t only read novels actually!!). I’ve been suffering from chronic fatigue for years and my PKC (Partners in Knitting Crime, a bit like a BFF but with needles!) lent me Beating Chronic Fatigue” by Dr Kristina Downing-Orr and what a revelation!!! After discussing with my doctor (who concluded it could do no harm), I’ve been stuffing myself with all the vitamins she recommends and it is making a huge difference in my day-to-day life . And even if you’re not that keen on the vitamins, it is very refreshing to have a doctor acknowledge and identify the symptoms and potential causes of chronic fatigue.

The second book is also health-related, but focusing more on the changes that happen to women’s metabolism as they age : “ Fight Fat after 40 ” by Dr Pamela Peeke. This one too was recommended by my PKC, who I suspect is even more of a book worm than me!). The focus here is to try and understand why women from their 40’s put on fat so much more easily , in particular belly fat. I love this book for making me understand why I can go all day without being hungry and then from 4pm until bed eat anything fat and sugary that I can find in the cupboards (does it sound familiar?). It is also very interesting to understand the changes in our calorie intake needs as we age. And there is a great exercise programme explained in details, to help you maintain your muscle mass – still to be implemented in the WembleyWonderful household but I’ll get there!!

The third book is not about health but about children education . The shouting level has been steadily increasing in the WembleyWonderful family lately and I am desperate to reverse this nasty process. So while reading a (not so good) book about children education, I stumbled across this excellent one: “ How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk ”, by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. The book was actually published in the 80’s so I am really annoyed I did not hear about it before!! - funnily enough, my other kids’ bible is “How to Parent”” by Fitzhugh Dodson and I still own the 1979 French edition! Anyway, back to the subject: this book is absolutely great to learn how to raise your kids with respect – obviously when you shout and punish, you’re not showing them a great deal of respect. It is super practical, with loads of real-life example and plenty of practise exercises . Both Mr WembleyWonderful and I have our copy so we are in the process of trying to implement all these new techniques, we’ll see how it goes!

If you happen to read them, I hope you will find these books helpful. And if you have books which you have enjoyed, I’m all ears! – I’m in a full life-improvement effort, is it the beginning of my mid-life crisis? Arrrggghhh….