WembleyWonderful Tips #101 - Winter Soups

Come this time of the year when the night starts at 3.30pm and the one thing I really need in the evening is a warm bowl of soup. So here are the Wembley Wonderful Family’s favourite recipes: although not really in the Christmas spirit, fully appropriate to the current weather! I cook and blend everything is my beloved Thermomix, which is the best kitchen appliance I have ever owned, but you can definitely cook these without a Thermomix. All recipes for 6 people and fully kids-proof.

It come without saying that I am very interested in your recipes too so do share them!

Carrots, ginger and coriander soup:

• Blend a little piece of ginger and some lemon zest, add 1 onion + 1kg of carrots + 1 vegetable stock + enough water to cover.
  • Bring to a boil and simmer for 15mn.
  • Add a handful of coriander and blend for as long as you like.
  • Add water to adjust thickness and salt and paper to taste.

Courgette soup:

• Fry 1 onion in olive oil for 2-3mn.
  • Add 12-15 courgettes peeled 3 times (to remove all bitterness), 1 vegetable stock and just about enough water to cover (far less than for the carrots).
  • If the water is well above the courgette level remove part of it in a bowl (to be able to add it back later if needed), add a big spoon of Vache qui Rit/ Philadelphia/ crème fraiche, blend for as long as like.

Red pepper and tomato soup

• Fry 1 onion in olive oil for 2-3mn (optional).
  • Add 3 red peppers (deseeded), 3 tinned of tomatoes, 1 vegetable stock.
  • Blend for as long as you like and add salt and pepper to taste.

Frozen petits pois soup

• Fry 1 onion in olive oil for 2-3mn (optional).
  • Add 1kg of frozen petits pois, 1 vegetable stock and enough water to cover.
  • Blend for as long as you like and add salt and pepper and crème fraiche to taste.
  • This one can be served with little pieces of grilled bacon; and a boiled egg with bread for a full meal.

Butternut squash soup

• Blend a little piece of ginger and some lemon zest, add 1 onion and fry in olive oil for 2-3mn (optional if your squash is really tasty – they differ widely so do buy the more expensive ones).
  • Add ½ large butternut squash, peeled and cubed + enough water to cover.
  • Blend for as long as you like, if the texture is still grainy add a handful of coriander and a bit of crème fraiche.

Celeriac, carrot and parsnip soup

• Fry 1 onion in olive oil for 2-3mn.
  • Peel, cut in cubes and add: ½ celeriac, c300g of carrots, c300g od parsnip, 1 vegetable cube and enough water to cover.
  • Blend for as long as you like and add salt and pepper to taste.

I’ve tried a few recipes with coconut milk but not a success I’m afraid… I hope you can try and enjoy these, and also share yours!