WembleyWonderful #142 - Bread Making Tips and Recipes

arrive at opening time, it seems that every man and his dog has started backing their own bread – to be fair who would want to queue daily at the baker in the current circumstances?

The WembleyWonderful family has been making its own bread for as long as we’ve been in England – out of necessity rather than choice, as the bread on offer in the UK 20 years ago was really not something you wanted try! Over the years, we have accumulated a number of bread recipes and tip, here they are, I hope you’ll like them!

White bread recipe

• Two unusual things I do here: I put the bread in a non pre-heated oven , so that the oven rise in temperature provide a second rising opportunity to the dough; and I put a dish of water at the bottom of my oven to create some steam , which makes the bread more crusty.
  • Mix and knead: 405ml water, 700g bread flour, 1 tea spoon (tsp) of sugar, 1 ½ tsp of salt, 10g of dried yeast, 2 tablespoon (tbsp) of oil (optional), 1 tbsp pf dried milk (optional).
  • Let the dough rise until it has doubled size, it should take about one hour(I put the dough in a small salad bowl, which I sit in a slightly bigger bowl containing warm water, and I cover with a wet cloth).
  • Shape the way you like – we WembleWonderful people love braid-shape bread, but you can shape as baguettes, hearts, anything– and put in cold oven, along with bowl of hot water.
  • Turn the oven to 210 and bake for 25mn.

Bagel recipe (for 8 bagels)

• Mix and knead: 350ml water, 500g normal white flour, 10g of dried yeast, 1 ½ tsp of salt, 1 ½ tsp of sugar. If you want to add other ingredients (we love cinnamon and raisins), add after first kneading and knead a second time.
  • Let the dough rise until it has doubled size.
  • Separate the dough in 8, create ball-shapes and make a hole in the centre.
  • Pre-heat the over the 220
  • Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan, then cook the bagels as many as you feel brave at a time (I do 4 in my very large pan) 1mn on one side, 1 mn on the other. Once cooked remove them from the pan and put them on a baking tray.
  • Bake in pre-heated oven for 12mn (I do not use boiling water here).

Foccacia recipe

• Mix and knead: 280ml water, 350g bread flour, 10g of dried yeast, 10g of rock salt, 25g of olive oil.
  • Spread the dough on a square/ rectangular dish. Leave to rest 15-20mn.
  • Make little regular indentations to the surface with your index fingers. Sprinkle with a nix of 40g water, 20g olive oil, 1tsp of rock salt. Sprinkle with rosemary.
  • Let the dough rise a second time for another hour (or ditch this step and just do the usual non pre-heated over thing).
  • Pre-heat the over at 230 and bake for 15-20mn.

Pita bread recipe

• Mix and knead: 500 g bread flour, 300g water, 10g dried yeast, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Separate in 12 portions and gently flatten with you palms (or, in my case, ask Mr WembleyWonderful to do it, you need to be gentle and patient, not qualities I exhibit in the kitchen).
  • Cover with a wet cloth for 15 minute for a second rise.
  • Pre-heat the over the 220 and bake for 3 to 5mn.

Pizza dough recipe

• Mix and knead: 630g bread flour, 315ml water, 10g dried yeast, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp olive oil.
  • Separate in as many portions as you want (we overfeed 6 people with these quantities), roll on a non-stick baking paper, add topping.
  • Pre-heat over at 230and bake for 10mn.

Gluten-free pizza dough recipe (that tastes like a really pizza, yes!!!)

• Mix and knead: 400 gluten free flour (any will do), 250ml skimmed milk, 10g dried yeast, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp xanthan gum (or 1 tbsp of grinded linseed), ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 tsp cider vinegar, 1 egg (optional).
  • And then everything as above – the dough is a bit more delicate to roll, use two sheets og non-stick baking paper (one below and one above).

Pain au lait recipe

• Mix and knead: 315ml water, 600g normal white flour, 10g of dried yeast, 60g of butter, 1 egg (optional), 6 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of vanilla flavour.
  • Shape the way you like – here as well we like the braided version– and put in cold oven, along with bowl of hot water.
  • Turn the oven to 180 and bake for 25mn. Check with a knife that the centre is well cooked, otherwise bake for longer, by 5mn increments.