WembleyWonderful #118 - Enjoying the Summer in London

I cannot talk from recent experience as my summers are now all spent in famous Saint Palais sur Mer (raise your hand if you know the place!) … But from a previous life, I know that London has loads to offer over the summer months , so here are a few highlights for those keen to experience summer in the city:

• The Royal Academy Summer Exhibition , this year in its 251st edition, is taking place between 10 June and 12 August. It is a great opportunity to discover contemporary artists and even buy their art – but be quick, the most affordable pieces usually go very quickly
  • Open Air Shows are a regular feature of London summer but who would get bored of them – so head to Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre or Holland Park Opera for wonderful outdoor evening.

The Hyper Japan Festival is something new and is taking place in Olympia over 12-14 July – showcasing the best of Japan old and new culture, it is sure to please the all family. My Manga-addicted children are very disappointed not to be able to go! And so is their Japanese fabric-addicted mother…

Zip Now is also new (to me anyway) – a 150m zip-wire in Archbishop’s Park on the South Bank, open until September.

And slightly outside of London, the Mayfield Lavender Farm is a great place to escape the city on a hot day – I have never been but I am definitely very keen to go! Visits are open between 1 June and 1 September – but best to wait for the end of June.